Thai Spiced Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cm / 1 inch fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 stalks lemon grass, finely chopped (can use prepared paste)
- 2 red chillies, sliced plus extra to serve (or hot sauce to taste)
- 3 limes, 1 juiced and 2 cut into wedges, to serve
- 3 T peanut oil
- 500 g / 1.1 lb sweet potatoes (about 2 large), cut into large chunks
- 500 ml / 17 fl oz canned coconut milk
- 500 ml / 17 fl oz vegetable stock
- Sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
To make the spice paste, put the onion, garlic, ginger, lemon grass, chillies, lime juice and half the oil in a blender or spice grinder and puree until smooth (add a little water if necessary).
Heat the remaining oil in a saucepan. Add the spice paste and fry gently for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, coconut milk and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer until the sweet potatoes are soft, about 10 minutes.
Transfer to a blender a bit at a time and puree until smooth. Season to taste and reheat, if necessary. Top with the sliced chillies and serve with wedges of lime.